How to Receive Fax on Gmail
[UPDATED: September 2017] You gotta love these times we live in, we can say good bye to fax machines and receive fax on Gmail!
Now more than ever we have an incredible array of ways of communicating, and more keep appearing every once in a while.
We no longer need to wait days to receive an envelope from the mailman, instead, we can just use our emails to communicate within seconds, or use another medium like instant messaging or video conference.
This immediacy in communications has also influenced old ways of communicating, such as fax, which has evolved to be safer, faster and ultimately, more cost efficient.
We no longer need a machine and a dedicated fax line to share documents, now we can receive fax on Gmail using just our computers and an Internet connection.
Table of Contents
What Do You Need to Receive Fax on Gmail?
An email fax service. These are companies that allow you to fax by email and give you a number to fax from Google mail – the most important item you need to receive Gmail fax.
These fax numbers don’t require any physical installation, they work over Internet Protocol and their main function is to send the fax file for conversion.
Once it is converted, the fax is then forwarded to your Gmail inbox, all in just a matter of seconds.
Fax services are not free (they need to assign and set up your virtual number), but they are needed to add fax features to Gmail.
You need the fax number linked to your Gmail address. If you want to fax for free for a while you can sign up for a free trial of a service.
A Gmail address. I imagine you already have one; if not, here you can open a new account.
NOTE: We recommend you create a new Gmail address to deal with faxes. With the amount of spam that always seems to creep into our emails, it’s better to keep things organized and easy to find.
How to Receive Fax on Gmail in a Nutshell
Delivering incoming faxes to your email is a very easy process that takes just 3 steps!
- STEP 1. Sign up for a free Internet fax number with your preferred email fax service provider.
- STEP 2. When signing up, link your assigned number to your email address. If you want to keep your current number, ask for a “porting service”.
- STEP 3. Start receiving faxes!
Linking Your Virtual Fax Number to Gmail
At the moment of signing up with an email fax service just enter your desired Gmail address and pick your number (you have the option between local and toll-free depending on your country/area).
Once you’ve done this, both will be automatically linked, so if someone sends you a fax using that number, it will be converted and forwarded to your inbox as a PDF attachment.
NOTE: Some services let you link the same number to up to 5 different addresses. The process is the same and faxes will be delivered at the same speed.
Alternatively, you can head out to the web fax online account and change the address to a Gmail one. Here’s a simple example of how this looks when faxing with RingCentral. By the way, all services are similar in this aspect.
Once you’ve done this, you are ready to receive fax on Gmail. You will receive them straight in your inbox. A copy will head to your online fax dashboard, and alternatively, your mobile phone.
Why Receive Fax on Gmail?
One of the coolest things about receiving faxes through Gmail is that Google provides a lot of useful features. Together with your fax service, they make faxing and sorting documents easier. Let’s take a look at some of them:
- Labeling faxes. With Gmail, you can easily create a label and use them on your fax documents. I personally use labels to distinguish between critical faxes and common fax communications. You can name them as you want, helping to distinguish between personal and business faxes.
- Integration with Google Drive. Drive is the cloud-based storage service offered by Google and it is completely free to use. With just a click you can send your incoming faxes to Drive for easy storage and sharing and have them neatly organized with their easy-to-use interface. Many fax services also give you the option to fax from Google Drive directly.
- Integration with fax services. Of all the free email providers out there, Gmail is the safest and easiest to use. It also integrates perfectly with web fax functions, that’s why millions of people have started to use Gmail to fax online.
- Lightning-fast speed. Receiving faxes over email is the fastest way to do it. Faxes arrive automatically in a completely hands-free process.
- Access faxes anywhere. As long as you have access to Gmail and access to the Internet. This is a revolutionary benefit that is impossible to enjoy if we keep on relying on fax machines. You can even download mobile apps to receive faxes on your phone.
Receiving faxes through Gmail is very easy. It doesn’t take more than a couple of minutes to set up your account and choose your number.
Services such as eFax or RingCentral will help you receive email fax in no time.
If you don’t want to spend money at first just sign up for a free trial. Make sure you cancel it before the trial period is over to avoid charges on your card.
If you are still using a fax machine, what are you waiting for? This new way of faxing will completely improve the way your company communicates.http://www.gmailfaxpro.com/tutorials/how-to-receive-fax-on-gmail/http://www.gmailfaxpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/fax-by-gmail.jpghttp://www.gmailfaxpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/fax-by-gmail-300x300.jpgTutorials