Google Fax Number – How to Get Yours!
A Google fax number is simply a virtual number that redirects all incoming documents to your Gmail address as digital documents (PDF), allowing you to fax from your computer or mobile device and without leaving Google’s services.
Back in the golden era of fax machines, a dedicated fax line was a must-have if you wanted to communicate with clients and providers without interruptions. This dedicated line cost money, so you had to add it to your list of expenses, which also included the cost of the machine itself!
However, things have changed. Thanks to the development of online fax technology you can obtain an email fax number that will let you send a fax from Gmail and receive new faxes automatically to your inbox.
Do you want to learn how to get your number and get started with email fax? Follow our easy step-by-step guide, and you will be ready to start faxing in just a few minutes! We have also included plenty of supplemental information to help you understand how this technology works, and what are its advantages. Read on to learn all about it!
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
To send your first fax using Gmail you just need to have two things:
- a Gmail address (here you can create one if you need to)
- An email fax service account. We need the help of a fax service because it will provide us with the technology necessary to automatically convert faxes to digital files and vice-versa.
In addition to basic faxing capabilities, fax services provide various features that make faxing faster and easier. One of them is the availability of free email fax numbers.
When you sign up for an email fax service, it gives you the option to choose between a toll-free and a local number, so you can choose one depending on what works best for your company. This virtual fax number will “grab” incoming faxes and then send them to your email as a PDF document in a “lightning-fast” process that takes place in powerful fax servers.
Right now, the only way to get a Google fax number is through a fax service provider. You can find some websites which allow you to fax for free using a form, but they only let you send one or two pages of fax per day or IP, and they do not give you a number to receive faxes. Using these sites means that you still need a fax machine and a dedicated line! That is not what we want. Services, on the other hand, charge you a monthly fee for faxing which can go as low as $5 per month, an affordable expense for any business, and the best of all is that your number comes included free of charge.
But, what if you want an entirely free solution? Is there any way to get a number without spending money?
You can get your online fax number at no extra cost if you sign up for a free trial account with a fax service. Most major services offer you the chance of opening a fully-featured test account that is active for 30 days. These accounts work the same as “paid” accounts, which means that you will have the option of choosing your virtual number at the moment of signing up. This alternative is not only great to get a number, but also to test out which service ends up being more helpful for you or your business.
How to Get a Google Fax Number in a Nutshell:
- STEP 1. Find an email fax service provider that meets your needs. Below you have some of our recommendations if you need help getting started.
- STEP 2. Sign up, and choose between a local or a toll-free fax number (availability depends on your area).
- STEP 3. Enter your name and link your allotted fax number to your Gmail address.
- STEP 4. (Optional) Log in to your account and add any other address that you would like to use for receiving faxes.
Fax Services We Recommend
These are the services that in our opinion do a better job at letting you fax from Gmail email. They integrate perfectly with Google’s email service and are 100% reliable for occasional and power users; what’s better, they let you try them for free before you start paying for a plan!
- RingCentral Fax. They do a perfect job integrating fax features in Gmail, with local and toll-free numbers available in USA, Canada, and most recently the UK. This fax service is packed with lots of useful features like fax scheduling, mobile integration and cloud faxing among others.
- eFax is one of the top rated fax services in the World. As a matter of fact, this company has a presence (and numbers) available in more than 40 countries and thousands of cities, making it the biggest fax company right now. You can create your account very quickly and pick between local and toll-free numbers available in your area.
- MyFax. Their plans pack much punch for a good price. Although this company is “younger” than the two listed above, it has quickly landed among the top email fax services thanks to its seamless integration and reliability. It may lack some advanced features but if you want to only take care of basic faxing this service is perfect for you.
How Do Virtual Fax Numbers Work?
When someone wants to send you a fax from a computer or machine, they will need to dial your virtual number, which looks like any standard fax number out there. This number will grab the TIFF image scanned by the sender’s fax machine and will process it through powerful fax servers, able to convert the image into a digital file (usually a PDF) and forward it to your Gmail inbox in a few seconds.
Email faxing is a fully automated process, so you don’t have to intervene at any point. Instead, you just check your inbox for new fax messages as if they were new emails.
Most major fax companies on the Web offer numbers covering major cities across the USA. However, you can also find excellent services such as MyFax and RingCentral, which provide numbers in Canada or UK; and if that doesn’t cover your area, you can try eFax which offers number in more than 40 countries around the Globe. The trick is to research a bit and see what’s better for your particular case.
Which type of number to choose is entirely up to you, some companies prefer to have toll-free numbers to deal with customers, but the choice varies from case to case, and it is something you will want to evaluate. In any case, a virtual fax number is a powerful tool that will add speed to your communications and will help you save money.
Why Use an Email Fax Number?
With email fax, you can finally break free from your old fax machine. An Internet fax number:
- Allows you to send and receive fax from Gmail.
- Adds speed and security to your communications.
- Allows you to fax from smartphones and tablets.
- Can be integrated to fax with Google Drive, Dropbox, and other cloud storage services.
- Allows you to sign documents electronically.
- Stores your fax documents online for easy access.
- Does not need physical lines and installations.
- Can be obtained for free with a fax service account.
How to Keep Your Current Fax Number
There are times when a new fax phone is not what you are looking for. This is particularly the case in established businesses that want to make the jump to digital faxing, but have already a known number for incoming faxes. Having a new number just makes matters more problematic since you have to update your contact information across multiple channels.
The solution comes with a process called “number porting.” Simply put, it will turn your current fax line into a digital one, able to receive faxes on the Internet. The process can take up to a week though, and during those days you will be given a temporary fax number (local or toll-free) which will stay active for a full month, more than enough time to make sure your service completes the porting process without inconveniences.
If you plan to port your current fax number, make sure you choose a respectable email fax company. It may cost a bit more than other alternatives, but you can rest assured they have the necessary team to make porting faster and more efficient.
Link Your Fax Number to Multiple Google Addresses
You do not have to get a new fax number for every email that needs faxing capabilities. Most Fax Over IP services allow you to link up to 5 different email addresses to a single virtual number. This is a useful feature that comes in very handy when more than one people is in charge of sending and receiving faxes, and lets you save time that you’d otherwise spend forwarding every incoming document. This feature is optional, of course, you can set faxes to be received by just one person.
This process is automatic, and despite delivering the fax to multiple recipients, it does so without spending extra time.
Can I Also Send Fax from Gmail?
Yes, you can! Email fax was at first created as a way to send faxes; it was not until later that virtual fax numbers became available and affordable for the general public.
Sending a fax over Gmail is very easy. It works just like any ordinary email message you might want to send, but with a few key differences:
- You enter the fax number in the TO field according to the directions of your email fax provider. So for example, if you are using RingCentral you need to enter the number followed by @rcfax.com. On the other hand, if you are using eFax, it might look something like this: email@example.com
- The contents of the fax are either typed directly into the message field or attached. You can attach any documents you have on your computer or mobile device.
This section is by no means intended to show you a full tutorial, but if you are interested, you can head to our fax from Gmail guide with all the detailed steps as well as pictures of the process.
When you fax through email, you can enjoy all the set of functions that make online faxing an easier and faster way of communicating. These features are what set apart this technology from other fax delivery methods, allowing you to cut the time you spend faxing, automate fax-related tasks, and enabling access from a wide array of devices.
- Fax scheduling. You can set a time and date to send a fax, and you can just forget about it! Once it has been successfully transmitted you will receive a confirmation message. What if the fax has not been sent? You will receive an error message detailing the reason. A problem like this hardly happens, because fax servers automatically retry sending the fax multiple times.
- Mobile faxing. Do you need to fax on the go? Don’t worry! All the top-rated fax companies have their mobile app, which lets you send and receive faxes with only a few taps. Apps are compatible with iOS (iPhone, iPad) and Android devices.
- Electronic signatures. Whether you use Gmail, your online fax dashboard or a mobile app, you can add signatures to your faxes without having to print them! Just upload your digital signature and you are done.
- Cloud faxing. This is one of the new features provided by the top fax services. Cloud fax enables you to send a fax using cloud-based documents hosted in places such as Google Drive, DropBox, and Box.
- Detailed reports. You will be able to access your fax log at any time and have a complete view of the documents you have sent and received. These logs contain detailed information that will make finding and categorizing faxes easier than ever.
- Multiple Recipients. Do you need to send a single fax to multiple recipients at the same time? With a fax machine, this used to be a time-consuming process that didn’t always end up going as smoothly as we would want to. Now things are much simpler with online faxing. You are allowed to send a fax to multiple recipients in the same way you send an email: by using the Cc field on your Gmail composing window.