LAST UPDATED: August 2023
Forget about using a fax machine again! Now you can send a fax from Gmail without having to spend money on a fax machine or even a fax line. In this tutorial, you'll learn how to send your first online fax using the power of email-to-fax services.
These services allow you to send faxes online from Gmail in just a few steps by providing you with a dedicated line that is ready to use as soon as you create your account. As you'll see below, all you have to do is compose an email and attach the file you want to send as a fax.
What Do I Need to Fax from Gmail?
If you want to send and receive faxes with Gmail you just need two things: a Gmail email address and an account with an online fax provider.
Choosing a good Internet fax service provider is important, because it will be in charge of linking a fax number to your email account. This number will also let you receive faxes automatically, you can choose different types of fax numbers depending on your needs.
We recommend you to create a free account with a service like eFax which is fully compatible with Gmail addresses.
How to Send a Fax from Gmail
It takes less than a minute to set up and send your document, just follow these five steps:
- Create a new email message in your Google Mail account by clicking on the Compose button.
- Enter the recipient's fax number, including the country code/area code on the TO field of the email message. Then, add @ and the domain of your fax service next to it. It should look like this: firstname.lastname@example.org For instance, if you need to send a document to the number 1-343-777-5555 using eFax, this is what you would need to type on the TO field: email@example.com.
- If you need to add a cover letter page, use the Subject line and/or the message’s body. You don't need to include a cover letter if you don't want to.
- Add the files that are going to be converted to fax documents. Services work with dozens of different formats including popular ones such as PDF, DOC, XLS, JPG, TIFF and TXT. To attach the file(s) , click on the paperclip icon (Attach files) on the bottom of the composing window. Mobile app users will find this icon on the top-right corner of the screen.
- Make sure all the information is correct before you send your document. Click on the Send button and your document will be sent for conversion, then forwarded to the receiver's machine.
It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to complete the transmission. You'll receive a confirmation message in your inbox with all the details of your fax. If there's an error along the way, online service providers will retry several times to make sure your fax reaches its destination.
How do I attach a document to a fax in Gmail?
Attaching a document to a fax in Gmail is similar to attaching any other file to an email. When composing a new email, click on the "Attach" icon, usually represented by a paperclip. Select the document you want to send as a fax from your computer or cloud storage, such as Google Drive. The document will then be attached to the email and ready to be sent as a fax.
Can I send a fax to multiple recipients from Gmail?
Yes, you can send a fax to multiple recipients from Gmail. Simply include multiple fax numbers in the recipient field when composing the email. Each fax number should be separated by a comma or semicolon. The online fax service will send the fax to all the specified recipients.
The Best Gmail Fax Services of 2023
An online fax service will give you a Gmail fax number, enabling you to send and receive fax to Gmail without leaving the email interface. It will also give you a domain that you have to add to the recipient's number when composing an email to fax (more about in the step-by-step guide below), and provide additional features such as mobile apps and integration with Google Docs.
You can send fax online free by signing up for a free trial with any of these recommended services:
- eFax. This is the biggest online fax provider, with numbers available in multiple countries and cities. Once you pick your number, it can be linked to any Gmail address. It is fully compatible with Gmail and other free email services as well. eFax's mobile app is the best one in the market, letting fax from pretty much anywhere.
- RingCentral Fax. This company has a fax from email solution as a stand-alone product or as part of their virtual office suite, RingCentral Office. With years in the market, this company is always including new features to online fax. They provide coverage in the US, Canada and UK.
Is there a free trial available for online fax services?
Many online fax services offer a free trial period for new users to test out their service. During this trial period, you can send and receive faxes without any cost. This allows you to evaluate the service and decide if it meets your faxing needs before committing to a paid plan.
Can I fax documents securely using online fax services?
Yes, online fax services prioritize security and employ advanced encryption techniques to ensure the confidentiality and integrity of your faxed documents. This means that your sensitive information is protected during transmission and storage. Additionally, online fax services often have secure online workspaces where you can manage and access your fax documents without worrying about unauthorized access.
Can I receive faxes in Gmail?
To receive a fax in Gmail, you need to have an online fax service account that supports inbound faxing. The process usually involves setting up a dedicated fax number that is linked to your Gmail account. When someone sends a fax to your dedicated Google fax number, the fax service will convert it into an email attachment and send it directly to your Gmail inbox.
Are there any limitations to receiving faxes in Gmail?
There may be some limitations when receiving faxes in Gmail, depending on the online fax service you choose. For example, some services may limit the number of pages you can receive per month. Others may have restrictions on the types of files that can be received as fax attachments. It is important to review the service's terms and limitations before signing up to ensure it meets your specific faxing needs.
Are there any alternatives to sending faxes from Gmail?
Can I send faxes using Google Docs?
Yes, you can send faxes using Google Drive and Google Docs. Google Docs offers an integration with online fax services that allows you to send faxes directly from your Google Docs account. Simply open the document you want to fax, navigate to the "File" menu, and select the "Fax" option. This will prompt you to enter the recipient's fax number and send the document as a fax.
Is it possible to send faxes from my Android device?
Yes, it is possible to send faxes from your Android device using an online fax service's mobile app. These apps are typically available for both Android and iOS devices and provide a convenient way to send and receive faxes on the go. You can easily attach documents from your device's storage or cloud storage accounts and send them as faxes.