How to Send Fax Through Gmail
Can I Send a Fax via Gmail?
It's time to say goodbye to fax machines and hello to modern technology! Nowadays, you can easily send a fax from Gmail without the need for a physical fax machine or fax line. In this tutorial you'll learn how to send your first fax using this only your Gmail account.
Fax-to-email services let you send fax via Gmail in just a few steps, by providing you with a virtual fax line that is ready to be used in minutes. Read on to get started in no time!
How to Send Fax from Gmail
- Create a new email message by clicking on the Compose button.
- Enter the recipient's fax number, including the country code/area code on the TO field of the email message. Then, add @ and the domain of your fax service next to it. It should look like this: firstname.lastname@example.org For instance, if you need to send fax to the number 1-343-777-5555 using eFax, this is what you would need to type on the TO field: email@example.com.
- If you need to add a cover letter page, use the Subject line and/or the message’s body. You don't need to include a cover letter if you don't want to. It's an optional step for people that need to include additional information about the fax transmission. The design of your cover pages can be changed when faxing from your Gmail account at any time, via your member's dashboard.
- Add the files that are going to be converted to fax documents. fax providers work with dozens of different formats including popular ones such as PDF, DOC, XLS, JPG, TIFF and TXT. To attach the file(s), click on the paperclip icon (Attach files) on the bottom of the composing window. Mobile app users will find this icon on the top-right corner of the screen.
- Make sure all the information is correct before you send a fax online on your Gmail message. Click on the Send button and your document will be sent for conversion, then forwarded to the receiver's fax machine.
It shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes to complete the transmission. You’ll get a confirmation message on your Gmail account with all the details of your fax. If there’s an error along the way, online service providers will retry sending it multiple times to ensure your fax reaches its destination.
The Best Fax Services for Gmail of 2023
An Gmail-based fax service will give you a virtual fax number, enabling you to send and receive fax to Gmail without leaving the email interface. It will also give you a domain that you have to add to the recipient's number when composing an email to fax (more about in the step-by-step guide below), and provide additional features such as mobile apps and integration with Google Docs.
You can send fax online free by signing up for a free trial with any of these recommended services:
Advantages of Faxing from Gmail
- Convenience: Faxing through Gmail allows you to send and receive fax without the need for additional equipment. This can be especially useful if you are traveling or working remotely and do not have access to a fax machine.
- Ease of use: Gmail faxing is easy and straightforward. You simply attach the document you want to fax to an email message and send it to the recipient's fax number. The fax service will then send the document to the recipient's fax machine.
- Security: Faxing from Gmail can be more secure than traditional faxing because the documents are transmitted over the internet rather than a phone line. This means that they are less likely to be intercepted or compromised.
- Cost: This way of faxing may be less expensive than traditional faxing, especially if you are sending or receiving large volumes of faxes. Some fax services offer free or low-cost plans for individuals or businesses.
- Document storage: Faxing online allows you to easily store and organize your faxes in your email inbox or other cloud storage service. This can be useful for keeping track of important documents and for easy access when you need to review them.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a fax-to-email service?
A fax-to-email service is a type of service that allows you to send and receive faxes through your email account. This means you can send a fax from your email program, such as Gmail, without the need for a fax machine or a dedicated fax line. It also lets you integrate other Google tools, including Google Drive.
2. How many Gmail addresses can be linked to a virtual fax line?
Most online fax services let you link up to 5 different addresses to a single fax number. The automated fax service will deliver the fax at the same time to all addresses.
3. Can I use another email provider?
Yes. As a matter of fact, you can be sending faxes from any email address you own, no matter if it's from Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, or even a proprietary email address with your own domain. The reason we prefer Gmail is because it's very fast, and it can be used along with other Google apps such as Drive or Docs.
4. What if I go beyond the amount of pages I can send per month?
In that case, your Gmail-compatible fax service will charge you an overage fee. This means that once beyond your limit, you'll start paying per page you send, that's why it is very important to pick a good plan. Overage fees are pretty low. In average, you can expect to pay 10 cents for each page you send.
5. What types of files can I fax from email?
Most fax-to-email services support a variety of file formats, including PDF, DOC, XLS, JPG, TIFF, and TXT. You can attach these files to your email message and they will be automatically converted into a fax document that is compatible with traditional fax machines.
6. Can I fax from a mobile device?
Yes, it is possible to send a fax from a mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet. This can be done using a fax app or by accessing a fax-to-email service through the mobile browser. You can also use your phone for faxing through your Gmail inbox directly, using your browser of Gmail official app.
7. Can I receive faxes in my email inbox?
Yes, most fax-to-email services allow you to receive faxes in your email inbox. To do this, you will need to set up a virtual fax number that is linked to your email account. Any faxes received at this number will be sent to your email inbox as a PDF or other digital document.
8. Are there any legal considerations to consider when faxing from email?
It is important to consider any legal implications when you fax via Gmail, as this may not be considered a secure method of communication in certain situations. If you are sending sensitive or confidential information, it may be necessary to use a more secure faxing method.