How to Send Fax from Gmail (for Free)
Forget about using a fax machine ever again. Nowadays you can send a fax from Gmail without needing a fax machine or a fax line. In this tutorial you'll learn how to send your first fax using this method.
Fax-to-email services let you send fax from Gmail in just a few steps, by providing you with a virtual fax line that is ready to be used in minutes. We recommend you to create a free account with a service like eFax which is fully compatible with Gmail addresses.
What Do I Need to Fax from Gmail?
If you want to send and receive faxes with Gmail you just need two things: a Gmail email address and an account with an online fax provider.
Choosing a good Internet fax service provider is important, because it will be in charge of linking a fax number to your email account. This number will also let you receive faxes automatically, you can choose different types of fax numbers depending on your needs.
How to Send a Fax from Gmail
- Create a new email message by clicking on the Compose button.
- Enter the recipient's fax number on the TO field of the email message. Then, add @ and the domain of your fax service next to it. It should look like this: email@example.com For instance, if you need to send fax to the number 1-343-777-5555 using eFax, this is what you would need to type on the TO field: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you need to add a cover page, use the Subject line and/or the message’s body. You don't need to include a cover page if you don't want to. It's an optional step for people that need to include additional information about the fax transmission. The design of your cover pages can be changed through your online fax account at any time.
- Add the files that are going to be converted to fax documents. fax providers work with dozens of different formats including popular ones such as PDF, DOC, XLS, JPG, TIFF and TXT. To attach the file(s), click on the paperclip icon (Attach files) on the bottom of the composing window. Mobile app users will find this icon on the top-right corner of the screen.
- Make sure all the information is correct before you send a fax online. Click on the Send button and your document will be sent for conversion, then forwarded to the receiver's fax machine.
It shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes to complete the transmission. You’ll get a confirmation message on your Gmail account with all the details of your fax. If there’s an error along the way, fax service providers will retry sending it multiple times to ensure your fax reaches its destination.
The first difference between a "traditional" email and a Gmail fax is that you enter the number on the TO field, followed by @ and the domain of your digital fax provider.
The second difference when you send fax from Gmail is that the fax contents have to be attached to the email to fax message. This file will be automatically converted into a fax document, and remain fully compatible with common fax machines.
The Best Gmail Fax Services of 2022
An online fax service will give you a Gmail fax number, enabling you to send and receive fax to Gmail without leaving the email interface. It will also give you a domain that you have to add to the recipient's number when composing an email to fax (more about in the step-by-step guide below), and provide additional features such as mobile apps and integration with Google Docs.
You can send fax online free by signing up for a free trial with any of these recommended services:
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many Gmail addresses can be linked to a virtual fax line?
Most email to fax services let you link up to 5 different addresses to a single fax number. The automated fax service will deliver the fax at the same time to all addresses.
2. Can I use another email provider?
Yes. As a matter of fact, you can fax from any email address you own, no matter if it's from Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, or even a proprietary email address with your own domain. The reason we prefer Gmail is because it's very fast, and it can be used along with other Google apps such as Drive or Docs.
3. What if I go beyond the amount of pages I can send per month?
In that case, a Gmail fax provider will charge you an overage fee. This means that once beyond your limit, you'll start paying per page you send, that's why it is very important to pick a good plan. Overage fees are pretty low. In average, you can expect to pay 10 cents for each page you send.
Sending fax with Gmail doesn't have to be hard. Online fax is the perfect solution for small businesses that want to decrease the time and money they spend with traditional fax machines. Fax to email technology is easy to integrate in your company. Even if you currently have a dedicated fax line in place, you can transfer it to a digital one and keep using your existing number.
To send fax online you just need your computer and an online fax service. The steps to compose a fax are so simple that even people who consider themselves to be technically challenged won't have a problem with the process. On the other hand, you can create a Gmail account at any time for free.
The availability of free alternatives makes it very easy to find a service that works for you. Besides price, there are other factors worth keeping into account, such as support, speed, compatible apps, file compatibility and the type of free Google fax numbers they provide.